Sean believes that everyone has a right to universal high quality, affordable health care. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) took a big step toward universal health care by providing more than 20 million additional Americans with access to affordable insurance and has protected the 5.4 million Illinoisans with pre-existing conditions. But the work is not done. We need to protect and strengthen the ACA by:
- Ensuring that all Americans have health insurance.
- Fixing flaws in the ACA exchanges to make sure they remain available and solvent.
In Congress, Sean:
- Cosponsored the Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions and Making Health Care More Affordable Act, which would make insurance more affordable to low- and middle-income families, enshrine protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and stop Republican attacks on the ACA that have driven up costs and the ranks of the uninsured.
- Introduced the FLAT Prices Act which would impose penalties on pharmaceutical companies that price gouge consumers.
- Cosponsored the Medicare Negotiation and Competitive Licensing Act, which would allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices, as the V.A. and for-profit health providers already do.
Sean has heard from constituents across the 6th District about the strain health care costs put on families. He believes that we can have higher quality health care at a lower price by building on the ACA and increasing competition on the insurance marketplace.