Sean believes that everyone has a right to universal high quality, affordable health care. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) took a big step toward universal health care by providing more than 20 million additional Americans with access to affordable insurance and has protected the 5.4 million Illinoisans with pre-existing conditions. But the work is not done. We need to protect and strengthen the ACA by:
- Ensuring that all Americans have health insurance.
- Fixing flaws in the ACA exchanges to make sure they remain available and solvent.
In Congress, Sean:
- Cosponsored the Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions and Making Health Care More Affordable Act, which would make insurance more affordable to low- and middle-income families, enshrine protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and stop Republican attacks on the ACA that have driven up costs and the ranks of the uninsured.
- Introduced the FLAT Prices Act which would impose penalties on pharmaceutical companies that price gouge consumers.
- Introduced the Ensuring Seniors’ Access to COVID Treatment, which would require Medicare Part D plans to cover drugs to treat COVID without cost-sharing, prior authorization, or other utilization management barriers.
- Cosponsored the bipartisan MOMMA’s Bill to address the Maternal mortality crisis, which would implement evidence-based best practices and policies within the medical community to improve maternal health outcomes.
- Cosponsored the Black Maternal Health Momnibus Ac, which will fill gaps in existing legislation to comprehensively address every dimension of the Black maternal health crisis in America
- Cosponsored the Dr. Lorna Breen Health Care Provider Act , which helps to improve mental and behavioral health and prevent burnout among health care providers.
- Cosponsored the Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act, which Gives Medicare the power to negotiate directly with the drug companies, stops drug companies from charging Americans more while charging other countries less for the same drugs, creates a new, $2,000 out-of-pocket limit on prescription drug costs for Medicare beneficiaries and more.
- Cosponsored the CONNECT for Health Act , which expands telehealth services
- Cosponsored the Mainstreaming Addiction Treatment Act, which helps by remove restrictions for providers to treat substance use disorder
- Voted to limit the cost of insulin to $35 a month.
Sean has heard from constituents across the 6th District about the strain health care costs put on families. He believes that we can have higher quality health care at a lower price by building on the ACA and increasing competition in the insurance marketplace.